|Forward Camel Spin:
The primary goal of this element is to display the ability to start
from a forward outside curve, initiating a 3-Turn, hooking the edge to
forward momentum into rotation energy necessary to center the spin.
A centered spin requires
distributing body weight on one foot while in a camel (spiral) position.
Skater must present an elegant
body position with head held up.
- Complete a minimum of
Rotations in Position
- The skater should be able to demonstrate they can push onto
a forward outside edge and bend the skating knee to force the edge of
the 3-Turn to
- Head should not look down while preparing to enter spin.
- Hands should be at waist level with shoulders level. The
free arm may stretch back matching the extension of free leg.
- The change of positions of the free leg and arms should not
disturb the skater's ability to hook the edge and center the spin.
- Pre rotation of the upper body and free leg should not
- The ability to sustain a controlled center after the hook
should be observed.
- Head should not be lower than the waist while in the camel
Advanced - Extra Credit
- Reward a skater who can perform forward
crossovers and step onto the entry edge prior to performing the
- Skaters should not build up speed and then slow
down prior to initiating the spin.
- Reward a controlled one foot exit from spin.
- Review position of a one footed glide on a deep inside
the skating knee bent.
- Introduce the concept of the free leg swinging wide to
in creating a controlled hook.
- Introduce the idea of using a bent skating knee to help
center the spin.
- Stress centering the spin in a camel (spiral) position with
the free leg and arms
extended and head up.
- Emphasize the speed of the spin occurs with the initial
snap into the spin.